Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Triumphs in Performance: for today only

We had a great show today.  It was something of a mix of reasons why.  A willing--and by this I mean willing and ready to JUMP IN to the world of the play-- and informed audience always helps. I also think we are all hitting our strides, finding our laughs, solidifying moments, calling cues based on the audience, talking to each other, REALLY.  There's nothing that can replace real talking.  And I don't mean acting like you are talking I mean really talking to the other person across from you.  One might ask, how can you NOT talk to someone? And to you I say think about how you speak on the phone with someone while you are on facebook or looking something up on the computer.  Attention can be as divided when one is on-stage--I catch myself whenever I can, and I know I am getting better at staying right there right then with my castmates, IN THE MOMENT as they say--but reaching out is infinitely more interesting and helps to reinvest.

I think of my family a lot when I do this show, not only because I'd like them to see it yeah that would be nice but because Austen was a highly skilled observer and wrote relationships so expertly--especially the family.  My missing my family prompted me to write this to them:  Hola familia. Just wanted to share some info on how our show is going.  Our performances are getting better and better and our audiences, of mostly older folks but some yougins, come into the theater cranky and leave smiling.  Yeah Jane Austen kicks ass. I think about you all often as she was a master at writing relationships, especially ones within a family.  I miss you all quite often and wish you could see the show, be all in the same room together.  Know you are all my inspiration and that I dedicate many of my shows to you and your good works!

No comments:

Post a Comment