Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Taking Measure of Today

For those of you who follow this blog and have been coming back for new news--my apologies.  I have been extremely slacking in responding to the world around me in the micro and macro.  For those who may look here only when I mention it on fb, as I suspect a few of you do, thank you for coming back. For those who don't give a crap, well nothing's changed then, eh?

Today:  Having a healthy dose of studying work that I love.  I am up to something, not sure yet.  In my preparation for the next play I will do, pride@prejudice a deconstruction of Jane Austen's classic novel with the same name except with an and instead of an @, I have been watching different cinematic visions for the beloved tale.  Most of the films have been done in England, not surprisingly, and had a cast and crew of mostly British people.  There is something to this--having an ancestral connection to a piece of literature is invaluable, especially as the work is firmly rooted in the customs and language of the writer if not at least influenced by them.  But literature is meant for all, thank goodness, and as English is a language I use and speak fairly well--I am not from this country, a great excuse when I mix up expressions--I am "owning" the material in my own way. And thus the watching of film adaptations of Pride and Prejudice.  I have watched the 1980 BBC 5-episode version with Elizabeth Garvie as Elizabeth Bennett (recently), The 1995 BBC mini-series with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth in the leads (not so recently viewed--it's gloriously long) and the 2005 Keira Knightley version directed by Joe Wright (twice! once appreciating the economy of the film yet very emotional effect, achieved in part by the great compositions of Dario Marianelli, and the second with the Director's Commentary feature turned on which was most illuminating--he sure loves Keira!)

I have been resisting the urge to watch other adaptations of Austen's novels because there are so many and because it will inevitably lead me to one of my favorite films of all time Sense and Sensibility screenplay by Emma Thompson directed by Ang Lee. I DID however indulge myself, I mean instructed myself on one of my favorite directors by watching Lee's film Eat Drink Man Woman--gorgeous, with Austen-like issues of decorum, sisterly-bonding and love, of course love.



(images are from imdb.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment